The provision of excellent peri-operative care to our patients is our highest priority.
As well as providing top quality anaesthesia, we want the in-patient experience to be as positive as possible.
Our team of around 10 anaesthetists includes RCVS and EBVS® European Specialists in Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, as well as anaesthesia clinicians, residents, interns and nurses. We play an active role in the peri-anaesthesia care of our patients, advising the other services on pain assessment, analgesia, sedation and fluid therapy for the duration of the patient’s stay.
What we offer
- Each patient undergoes individual assessment by one of our team prior to sedation or anaesthesia in order to tailor the plan to the patient’s specific needs
- We use surgical safety checklists in the peri-operative period to reduce error related morbidity and mortality
- Every anaesthetised patient has full monitoring of cardiorespiratory variables
- We routinely use loco-regional anaesthesia techniques in addition to general anaesthesia to provide optimal balanced anaesthesia and analgesia
- We play an active role in the care of critically ill patients
- On recovery, patients are cared for in our recovery room by a team of nurses
- We routinely use validated pain assessment scales in the peri- anaesthetic period
- Our RCVS and European Specialists in Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia are available to give telephone and face-to-face advice to veterinary surgeons, and the team is actively involved in giving CPD for vets and nurses
- We have a successful ECVAA residency program with 100% first time pass rate since 2015
- Datex Aestiva anaesthetic work stations with integrated ventilators, multiparameter monitoring and spirometry
- Ultrasound and nerve stimulator guided loco-regional anaesthesia
- Acceleromyograph for monitoring neuro-muscular blockade
- MRI-compatible anaesthesia equipment